In my last post, I briefly mentioned that one of the featured projects was knit from leftover yarn from a doll. Almost immediately upon writing that, I realized that the doll, though completed waaaaay back in August, deserved its own post.
Watching the Olympics this past February really helped pull me through my final semester at college. We had no TV in our house, so I spent an inordinate amount of time at the Blue Door Pub in Saint Paul, MN, watching whatever random Olympic scraps I could catch and munching on tater tots and Blucys. I even went by myself and sat at the bar on Valentine’s Day, which was probably one of the more socially daring things I’ve done on my own.
But by far the best part was on February 17th, after flying into Chicago with Lauren and Erin for our JET interviews, after almost missing our flight in such a variety of ways that we would have made an excellent sitcom episode, after getting slightly lost on the way to the hotel, we arrived in our room and turned on the TV just in time to catch Shaun White winning gold in the Men’s Snowboard Halfpipe event.
And lo, a slight obsession was born and I needed to express it in knitting. Behold, ladies and gentlemen, Shaun White, the knit doll:
I had originally intended to make him a little snowboarding outfit but:
1) There was an incident involving his hair and my cat, the day after I spent several hours sewing, cutting, and swearing the orange yarn into place. This lead to the project being mothballed for several months until I felt ready to face it and by then snowboarding season was most definitely over.
2) I forgot the KISS principle and that I was making a coat for a doll, and the coat died a fiery demise after the fourth sleeve iteration.
3) I found a cute toy skateboard with a Boston terrier on it, like the one owned by the founders of Ravelry, and took it as fate. Besides, after the coat incident, I wasn’t too confident of my snowboard-making skills.
The base pattern I used is Ysolda Teague’s Poppy (Rav link), though I stole the feet from Sally, the Eco Fairy pattern (Rav link) so that I could make him shoes. The hair was made curly by knitting up a garter swatch that I then washed and dried before unraveling – it came out a little too kinked, so I wet it again and gave a few tugs to create looser curls. I really recommend the Poppy pattern for it’s hair directions: up until that pattern, all attempts at doll hair on my part had been in vain. And when Ysolda says to stuff the neck firmly – DO IT! I might have to perform surgery soon with a pipe cleaner…
Project Page – Shaun White (Rav link)